POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rendering memory limitations : Re: Rendering memory limitations Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:27:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering memory limitations
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 17 May 2007 20:37:16
Message: <464cf53c$1@news.povray.org>
pirateprincess wrote:
> I have been working with .POV scenes generated from PyMOL (PDB crystal
> structure files).  I am trying to tesselate a specific crystal structure
> image across a plane and have utilized 15-20 copies of a simple DNA double
> helix.  The .POV file is roughly 30 megabytes.  I am working on a quad-core
> G5 (Mac OS X 10.4.9, Pov-Ray 3.6.1 for Mac) with 4GB RAM and am receiving an
> error that reads "Parse Error: Out of memory.  Cannot allocate 116 bytes for
> finish.  File my_scene.pov line 665798"
>
> Are there simple ways to fix this problem?  Is more information needed to
> help diagnose the problem / suggest a solution?

The 4 GB of RAM won't help a GUI application such as POV-Ray as those
applications cannot use more then 3 GB of memory each, regardless of how
much memory your system has.

To get over this limit, you need a 64 bit command line application, which
you would have to compile yourself based on the Unix source code of POV-Ray.
Apple includes all development tools you need in addition to the POV-Ray
source code (but the development tools are not installed by default).
However, it isn't trivial if you have never done this before.

    Thorsten, POV-Team