POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Good metal texture : Re: Good metal texture Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:31:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Good metal texture
From: William Tracy
Date: 12 May 2007 16:00:00
Message: <46461cc0$1@news.povray.org>
Ansgar wrote:
> Hello there.
>
> My metal textures are always a little dull and boring and I wanted to ask if
> there are any tips you could give me to spice them up a bit. For example, is
> it possible to define a kind of reflection map? They used to help me a lot
> to make realistic metals in MAX but I don't know if and how I can create
> similar effects with POV. Thanks in advance!
>
> Ansgar

You could take a peek at metals.inc. A lot of people don't like the
predefined textures that come with Pov, but I'm happy with metals.inc,
even if just as a starting point for my own textures. If nothing else,
looking at the finishes in metals.inc will give you some hints on how
reflections work in Pov.

You shouldn't need anything like a reflection map in Pov, since Pov is a
genuine, honest-to-goodness raytracer. :-)

--
William Tracy

You know you've been raytracing too long when you look at waterfalls,
dust, rain, snow, etc, and think: "If only I had a fractalized, vector
based particle-system modeler with collision detection!"