POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Cross Screen Filter : Re: Cross Screen Filter Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:18:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cross Screen Filter
From: Alain
Date: 10 May 2007 20:12:38
Message: <4643b4f6$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 10 / 05 / 2007 19:44:
> Hola,
>
> I'm working on an idea and I'm not getting the results I expected, so before
> I flog this any further, I thought I'd post and see if it's even possible.
> For those who don't know what a cross screen filter is ..... check out this
> Wikipedia entry:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_(photography)#Cross_screen
>
> So my question is is this even possible in POV? I've constructed my filter
> (I'm using the fine wire grating method) and it dosen't work as expected. I
> think I'm missing the "diffraction" element of my filter. Since this is a
> pretty sharp group I imagine someone might have a few pointers to get me
> going in the right direction .... or tell me that it can't be done.
>
> Cheers Jim

Strictly, NO. But, you can have something similar.
POV-Ray don't have diffraction.
You can simulate this effect by using a plane placed between the camera and the
rest of the scene. The filter-box will be totaly transparent (rgbt 1) have some
averaged rotated gradient pattern (to give the rainbow lines) and a flat normal
that is stronger than the rest (heavier ponderation) so that the objects
themself are seen normaly.
You need to give your filter-box an interior with a small ior and a large
dispersion value, maybe larger than that of the ior. You will probably need to
increment the dispersion_samples value over it's default value of 7.

Be ready for long render times. Each averaged normal will generate an additional
ray to be computed, that will bet multiplied by dispersion_samples. So, if you
want a 6 branches effect, you will have at least 49 rays to sample for each pixel.

There is a tool, the lenseflare macro, that does basicaly that.

--
Alain
An organizer for the "Million Agoraphobics March" expressed disappointment in