POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Before and After and new website : Re: Before and After and new website Server Time
16 May 2024 21:44:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Before and After and new website
From: Tek
Date: 7 May 2007 15:36:45
Message: <463f7fcd$1@news.povray.org>
"Mike the Elder" <zer### [at] wyanorg> wrote in message
> Now is probably as good a time as any to share a few thoughts I have
> regarding what seems to be an assumption with respect photo-realism that
> often enters into discussion of ray trace images. ...

I certainly appreciate that there's no need to go photo-real with an image.
I'm a big fan of stylised graphics. But in the case of your image I thought
that you were trying to be realistic. There was no obvious stylistic signs
beyond those I normally associate with people who haven't got the hang of
photo realism, such as excessively flat lighting & simple texturing. If this
was an intentional stylistic decision than that's fine, but I have no
suggestions how you could improve it!

To my mind stylistic stuff works best when it clearly shows awesome
technical skills, but clearly pointed in a direction other than reality. For
example Pixar's The Incredibles, not at all realistic but also bearing no
resemblance to naive CG. With Pixar you're left in no doubt that they could
do photorealism if they wanted to!

Anyway I apologise if my presumption that you were attempting photorealism
caused any offence.

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com