POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : What next... ? : Re: What next... ? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:31:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What next... ?
From: Sherry Shaw
Date: 6 May 2007 09:36:17
Message: <463dd9d1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:

>What I'm saying is I start off with a simple object and develop it until I'm
>happy with it then build another and so on then combine them.

Or, you could do the exact opposite.  ;)  My personal preference is to
take a top-down approach, by laying out a scene with placeholders
representing the main objects--a box for the house, a sphere for the
lilac bush, whatever--and then playing with the camera placement and
angle, light_source locations, and so forth until I like it.  Then I
start adding detail, beginning with things like additional shapes or
colors and working down to the tiny bits, greebles, etc.  It seems to me
that this approach is more likely to let you "see" things that you
didn't anticipate when you planned the scene--"Hey, there's a bug
crawling on that rock!"--as well as saving the frustration of realizing
that your carefully designed thingy is completely hidden by the doodad.

OTOH, you know you're hooked when you see an interesting object and
automatically start coding it in your head.  ;)

Just some thoughts,

--Sherry Shaw

--
#macro T(E,N)sphere{x,.4rotate z*E*60translate y*N pigment{wrinkles scale
.3}finish{ambient 1}}#end#local I=0;#while(I<5)T(I,1)T(1-I,-1)#local I=I+