POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : What next... ? : Re: What next... ? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:26:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What next... ?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 6 May 2007 07:57:03
Message: <463dc28f@news.povray.org>
"Simon" <povray@NOSPAM|SOWare.co.uk> schreef in bericht
news:463c8d62$1@news.povray.org...
> Hi all, wonder if someone can help me - I've read the POVRay manual cover
> to cover and have modeled some basic primitives with various lightings,
> etc... I've made the standard spinning earth in space, some basic flying
> text - you get the point...
>
> What I need to know is where I can find info on the next step to
> generating real-world scenes - obviously I'm a long way from that yet but
> maybe some tutorials on how to (say) model buildings, nice rolling plains,
> etc...
>
> I knwo I can do some of the above with a VERY long list of primitives but
> it seems to me there must be a better way?

Hi Simon,

One thing that you can do already if you want to approach the real-world
scenes, is to experiment with height_field {} (later going on to
isosurfaces...). If you want nice rolling plains and distant mountains, that
is the way to go, and it is very simple and rewarding. Once you have a
landscape that appeals to you, ideas for objects in that landscape will come
easily, and then it will be as Stephen said.

Thomas