POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Getting the intensity of light at a point. : Re: Getting the intensity of light at a point. Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:27:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting the intensity of light at a point.
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 3 May 2007 13:51:34
Message: <463a2126@news.povray.org>
MustardMan wrote:
> What I would like to do is to get POVray to output another variable to the
> file which tells me if a point (on one or more panels) is in shade. Then
> the integrating program can calculate merrily away, and I don't have to
> worry about shadowing at inconvienient times!
>
> Thanks,
> MM.

This would be easy to do with MegaPov's projection pattern. The pattern
simulates a light_source and takes that information and returns it as a
pigment. This includes any shadows which may affect your scene. From
there you can call eval_pigment to test if a point is in a shadow or
not. Since all you need is a yes or no concerning the sun's occlusion,
this method should work just fine. Try it out! You'll need MegaPov
(http://megapov.inetart.net/), of course :)

~Sam