POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Getting the intensity of light at a point. : Re: Getting the intensity of light at a point. Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:23:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting the intensity of light at a point.
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 1 May 2007 20:13:53
Message: <4637d7c1$1@news.povray.org>
MustardMan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using POVray to simulate the energy produced by solar panels at
> different orientations on a roof. My simulation includes the horizon, so
> the shadowing difference between summer & winter is realistic (as well as
> throughout the day).
>
> I can calculate the power generated by the panels by simply using some maths
> and the Az & Al variables generated by SUNPOS. However, this does not
> include shadowing caused by objects (horizon, trees, etc) - the value is
> what the panels would produce if they were always illuminated.
>
> Am I able to specify a point in the scene and get POVray to report the
> amount of light reaching that point?
>
> Cheers,
> MM.

MustardMan,

How efficient does the panel absorb light? At what angles? How many
points of reference will you use for your calculations? I can think of
two ways to do what you want.

First way. You can shoot several rays (using trace()) from the camera,
to see if a shadow is cast onto parts of the panel or not. From there
you can get the normal of the panel's surface and calculate how much
light would be absorbed.

The second option uses MegaPov's projection pattern. You make the
pattern utilize a copy of the sun, and test the resulting pigment with
eval_pigment. These tests would be averaged together to achieve an
approximation of how much solar energy is absorbed per-panel. This won't
take surface normals into consideration, though.

Just some ideas. With any luck they made sense. Hope you succeed!

~Sam