POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Difference fom height field. : Re: Difference fom height field. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:29:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Difference fom height field.
From: Verm
Date: 29 Apr 2007 03:38:02
Message: <46344b5a$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Attwood wrote:
> Height_fields have depth, but only the "field" surface
> is rendered...  so you need to difference off a
> slightly smaller box to give it edges...

Thanks ok I see this works fine. It still seems a little odd.

To me it seems counterintuitive that taking a height-field and
differencing a larger box from it leaves anything. It's even stranger
that whats left is outside the original bounding box of the height_field

difference {
   // height_field from <0 0 0> to <1 1 1>
   height_field {
     png  "plasma3.png"
   }
   box { -1, 2 }
}

It seems height_fields could be considered of infinite depth but that
apart from the top face their faces don't show until something is
differenced.

   In this case I'm not interested one way or the other in any edges as
they won't be visible so clipping works fine too, and I *think* I now
understand how hf's behave.

Now to try to complete the rest of my Before-After 3D-rtc entry :- )

thanks