POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : make check error : Re: make check error Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:33:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: make check error
From: Alain
Date: 27 Apr 2007 23:27:22
Message: <4632bf1a$1@news.povray.org>
cdbaric nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 27-04-2007 21:00:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>> cdbaric <CD Baric> wrote:
>>> It is hard to believe people are creating these beautiful pictures only
>>> using a command line interface.
>>   Why is it hard to believe?

>> --
>>                                                           - Warp

> Simple - when I draw an object, I have a visualization of what the finished
> object should look like. I look at what I have drawn and compare it with
> that visualization.

> I love and use the command line interface for many tasks, including ripping
> DVDs and CDs BUT creating a visual experience without instant visual
> feedback seems to me to be unintuitive - how can it be otherwise.

> Bar

POV-Ray is a renderer, it is NOT a modeler, and, even with the UI of the windows
version, you don't have any "instant" visual feedback, only an integrated text
editor. To see the state of your work, you need to start a render.
With the windows version, and I beleive the Mac version (correct me if I'm
wrong), you get the conveniance of a button to start a render, a drop-list to
select your resolution, a small "command line" text box to enter various
parameters that stay until you change them, tabed edition pages.

The applications that offer a visualisation, are mostly mesh based using openGL
or direct-draw.

--
Alain
If you're ever about to be mugged by a couple of clowns, don't hesitate - go for