POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Since were talking operating systems! : Re: Since were talking operating systems! Server Time
17 May 2024 06:47:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Since were talking operating systems!
From: Bryan Heit
Date: 25 Apr 2007 18:08:38
Message: <462fd166$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback wrote:
> I looked and didn't see a linux newsgroup on this server so I'm goning to
> post here and endure the flames if they happen.
>
> I'm getting pretty discouraged with MicroSoft. The last round of XP security
> patches (.ani butch) did nothing but hose my system. With a little luck I
> was able to undo the boogered up job it did to the registry. I've got my
> fingers crossed .... anyway enough for the rant.
>
> Has anyone had any expierience with Ubuntu's version of Linux? I have a
> retired PC that I was going to load up just to have a look, and thought I'd
> ask here to see if anyone had any comments .... good or bad about Ubuntu.
>
> Cheers Jim

Ubuntu's great - we're in the process of switching over every machine in
our lab to ubuntu (except for the ones which have to run windows or
mac).  Gentoo is also a great system, especially if performance is an
issue, but its setup is a little less user friendly the ubuntu.

You can try a "liveCD" version of ubuntu; It's slow, and not
customizable, but it gives you a chance to test the system without
committing to it:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

Bryan