POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Free Vector Editor exports to POV : Re: Free Vector Editor exports to POV Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:29:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Free Vector Editor exports to POV
From: scott
Date: 23 Apr 2007 07:05:30
Message: <462c92fa$1@news.povray.org>
>> Neither solution are satisfactory. For a long time, I think that PoV is
>> missing a way to cleanly deal with coincident surface: some declaration
>> in
>> the scene that says "these surfaces are *meant* to be coincident, you
>> must
>> handle them that way"
>
> But how would it handle which texture to process first?

You could specify textures for boundaries rather than objects.

So the default would be the texture for the object/air boundary (same as
existing syntax), but then you could specify additional "textures" for
boundaries between two objects (eg glass/wine).  There could even be default
boundary textures computed automatically using some (physically correct?)
algorithm.

And then there could be a configurable "minimum gap", below which POV would
assume two surfaces were coincident.