POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Free Vector Editor exports to POV : Re: Free Vector Editor exports to POV Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:31:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Free Vector Editor exports to POV
From: Nicolas George
Date: 22 Apr 2007 15:36:42
Message: <462bb94a$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers  wrote in message <462ba23c@news.povray.org>:
>> Neither solution are satisfactory. For a long time, I think that PoV is
>> missing a way to cleanly deal with coincident surface: some declaration in
>> the scene that says "these surfaces are *meant* to be coincident, you must
>> handle them that way"
> But how would it handle which texture to process first?

That is exactly the point: we need a way to tell PoV what to do.

 From a theoretical point of view, it is quite trivial: if two objects use
the same surface, PoV computes only once the intersection, applies the
user-given rules to determine which one comes first, and keeps a flags for
any light ray it must then follow from this point.

 From a practical point of view, devising a syntax for that would require to
example all possibilities, but it can be done.