POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Ubuntu?? : Re: Ubuntu?? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 02:29:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ubuntu??
From: Larry Hudson
Date: 20 Apr 2007 21:50:30
Message: <46296de6$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback wrote:
> Hola,
>
> Has anyone had any experience with Ubuntu's version of Linux? Kind of had it
> MS and all those freekin' butches that end up breaking more than they fix.
> So I've decided to look start looking for alternatives. I came across Ubuntu
> while reading an article .... hey they price is right (free .... open
> source).... they even picked up the postage for the install CD's. Anyway
> .... if anyone has comments .... war stories .... whatever. I'd appreciate
> it.
>
> Ciao Jim

Ubuntu/Kubuntu seem to be about the most popular Linux distros available
now.  (The difference between the two is the GUI desktop -- Ubuntu uses
GNOME, Kubuntu uses KDE.  Arguments about which is better can lead to
some major flame wars -- which I think are silly, they are both good and
it's strictly a matter of personal preference.  FWIW, I happen to prefer
GNOME, but KDE seems to be the more popular.  I have them both installed
in Fedora and do use KDE occasionally but GNOME mostly.)

I have a minor quibble about the way Ubuntu/Kubuntu handle the root
account, but that's because I'm more used to the standard usage in other
distros.  Again, personal preference.

I have played around with both Ubuntu and Kubuntu but haven't really
"used" them.  They are both very good but I tend to stick with
RedHat/Fedora simply from habit/familiarity.  But overall, I have only
heard very positive comments about Ubuntu/Kubuntu.  Especially for
people coming directly from the Windows world.

In any case -- GO FOR IT!!!     ;-)

      -=- Larry -=-

PS.  FWIW, I have never gone to WinXP, and I absolutely refuse to go to
Vista.  I'm currently using Win2k.