POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Free Vector Editor exports to POV : Re: Free Vector Editor exports to POV Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:25:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Free Vector Editor exports to POV
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 20 Apr 2007 18:15:29
Message: <46293b81$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> "Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
>> How do I save this particular file to my system? I tried copying to a file
>> and save as .svg, but Inkscape won't accept that.
>
> Why wouldn't Inkscape accept a text-only svg file?  Copy all the contents
> with CTRL+A CTRL+C, open up notepad or any simple text editor, drop the
> contents with CTRL+V, save file as something like "foo.svg".  Inkscape
> shouldn't have a problem with that.

I tried exactly that just now in WinXP. Opened the .svg in Mozilla
Firefox and clicked view source(1), selected all of it, copy and paste
into notepad, save as .svg ANSI format. Inkscape opened the .svg file
without any apparent problems.

Tried the same thing with IE, and Inkscape refused to read it.

And the reason is IE. When IE displays the file, it adds these nice + or
- marks so you can expand or collapse certain parts of the xml and by
default all of them are open. When you select all of it and copy, it is
copying those marks too, which ruins the xml. So, if you must use IE,
use 'view source' first, to get the raw xml instead of the pretty
version that IE chooses to display. Tested this just now, and while the
file does differ from the one copy and pasted with Firefox, it runs in
Inkscake now.

(1) had to view source, Firefox was kind enough to draw the svg as a
picture instead of displaying the xml code. It might have had the same
problem if it had displayed 'pretty xml' instead.