POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Vista and POV-Ray : Re: Vista and POV-Ray Server Time
2 Jun 2024 00:34:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vista and POV-Ray
From: Chris Cason
Date: 19 Apr 2007 17:44:29
Message: <4627e2bd$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> "They" is all the people who write code that stores per-user
> configuration files in the Program Files directory tree. "They" is the

POV-Ray's windows code hails from the Windows 95 days (actually even before
that; we originally supported Win32s under Windows 3.1). We still support
Windows 95 (though I am thinking of making that go away). Often these sort
of issues are the legacy of how we were forced to do things 'back in the
day'. It's all well and good for Microsoft to come out with new OS's (hey,
it makes them more money), but us programmers still have to support the
older ones for a long time.

That's not to say it can't be fixed, just that it involves doing things
differently according to what version of Windows is involved, which is more
work for us; hence, it doesn't always happen until it becomes an issue.

We have 3.62 coming out shortly so there's an opportunity for it to be
fixed. If I can get hold of a copy of vista I will check these issues out.
It may well be that it is time to move what config must be in the
filesystem to per-user directories (except on versions of windows that
don't have the concept of course) and keep most other stuff in the registry.

-- Chris