POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Vista and POV-Ray : Re: Vista and POV-Ray Server Time
2 Jun 2024 01:06:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vista and POV-Ray
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Apr 2007 14:53:48
Message: <4627babc@news.povray.org>
Carl wrote:
 > So why does the POV-Ray install put that file there?

Because it is, in its own way, slightly broken in that sense. Just like
huge numbers of other Windows programs. Indeed, so many huge numbers of
other Windows programs that Microsoft has to rewrite the file system out
from under them, in several ways, to keep them from messing up the OS. :-)

 > And if POV-Ray were trying to write into the program-files directory
 > shouldn't it give you an error message?  Why just say "Not Responding".

Depends on what it does when it fails. If there's one task running the
render and another watching for progress messages, and the render task
fails unexpectedly, then this might happen. But I'm just guessing.

 > say check path and file
 > name when notepad had no problem opening the file?

Because notepad is aware of the new changes to how the file system is
redirected, since it's from Microsoft.

 >> Just be aware that Vista is different from previous versions in that
 >> respect, because no matter how hard Microsoft tried to get people to
 >> treat it as a secure multi-user platform, they refused for various
 >> reasons. :-)
 >
 > Is the "they" you are refering to Microsoft or me?

"They" is all the people who write code that stores per-user
configuration files in the Program Files directory tree. "They" is the
programmers who overwrite system DLLs with their own. "They" is the
people who complain that Vista keeps popping up "are you sure Yes/No"
boxes when they try to do stuff, indicating they're still running
everyday programs as administrator. Etc.  Not necessarily you at all.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     His kernel fu is strong.