POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : hdr : Re: hdr Server Time
26 Apr 2024 01:34:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hdr
From: Tek
Date: 12 Apr 2007 09:41:08
Message: <461e36f4$1@news.povray.org>
My light dome's not adaptive like that. I sample each light from an average
of 20 points on the dome to get less aliasing, but for the light positions I
just messed with some formulae until I got a nice even distribution of
lights over the dome (I couldn't be bothered coding a geodisic dome light
placement). My formula for spreading lights over a sphere is:

  #declare invpow = function(x,p) {
select(x,-1+pow(1-abs(x),p),1-pow(1-abs(x),p)) }
  #while (i < num_lights)
   #local j=(i+.5)/num_lights;
   #local dir =
vrotate(z,<invpow(j*2-1,.5)*90,invpow(j*2-1,.5)*sqrt(num_lights)*180,0>);
    ...place light...
   #local i=i+1;
  #end

To be honest I don't know why it gives such a good distribution, I found it
by trial and error, I have a knack for messing with pow() functions until I
get something that looks right!

Your weighted sampling technique sounds good, I assume you use bigger area
lights if they're representing a region with less lights in (if you see what
I mean). My area lights are setup so I can specify an angular size for them,
which matches the region I'm sampling on the dome, the angular size was
chosen using a simple sun-dial test scene adjusted until the distinct
shadows overlapped enough that they looked like 1 smooth shadow.

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com