POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Saving Time on multiple renders : Re: Saving Time on multiple renders Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:18:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Saving Time on multiple renders
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 2 Apr 2007 20:24:58
Message: <46119eda$1@news.povray.org>
> I wonder what eventually proves to be the most
> "business-case-efficient" means of making movies  (considering engineering
> + model making + animating + rendering)--  meshes or blobs?

Meshes are much more efficient (timewise) than blobs.

> Perhaps someone on the POV-Team already knows the answer based on what the
> software *is*.  But my hunch is that modelling things out of blobs is the
> best business case for say making an Oscar(TM)-winning Best Short Film.
> You can for example use #while loops to string out blobs along a spline,
> then Reorient, translate, and scale each sphere to make just about any
> shape you can imagine. You can then animate the spline and have all sorts
> of fun.

You can do the same thing with meshes, but adding parse time to
a scene by programmatic object generation at parse slows an animation...
the trick is to pre-generate your mesh by macro, then just store
it in a file using #fopen and #write for future #include, don't re-calulate
it unless it changes, preferably you could store a "flipbook" of your
mesh object(s), then just re-use it in other parts of an animation.