POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Saving Time on multiple renders : Re: Saving Time on multiple renders Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:28:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Saving Time on multiple renders
From: Chris Cason
Date: 2 Apr 2007 17:22:13
Message: <46117405$1@news.povray.org>
MattM wrote:
> I am rendering out several images in a file queue, each image re-uses pretty
> much the same objects. Every time an image is rendered several large tree
> meshes are parsed. So here's the question is it/would it be possible to
> cache that mesh in memory for the next image (some sort of marker on the
> object description). So when the next image was rendered it would not need
> to re-parse it. This could potentially save lots of time.

With version 3.7 this is technically possible (with some work). Since 3.7
can handle multiple scenes simultaneously (this is internally; we don't
expose this facility), it would be possible to parse and store the object
you want in one scene which is parsed without rendering it, and not
deleted. Then there would need to be some means of importing that parsed
scene; i.e. merging it with a newly-parsed scene (this is where the work
comes, as there is currently no support for that).

However on the surface it seems possible and I'm sure that once the 3.7
code is released, if there is sufficient interest in the concept someone
will do it.

-- Chris