POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Saving Time on multiple renders : Re: Saving Time on multiple renders Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:16:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Saving Time on multiple renders
From: Chambers
Date: 2 Apr 2007 16:18:29
Message: <46116515$1@news.povray.org>
MattM wrote:
> I have no idea if this is possible or if not whether anyone things it's a
> good idea. (So please be gentle with your responses)
>
> I am rendering out several images in a file queue, each image re-uses pretty
> much the same objects. Every time an image is rendered several large tree
> meshes are parsed. So here's the question is it/would it be possible to
> cache that mesh in memory for the next image (some sort of marker on the
> object description). So when the next image was rendered it would not need
> to re-parse it. This could potentially save lots of time.
>
> I imagine this would speed up some animations for instance.

If a significant portion of your background objects don't change between
renders, you could try rendering them in an image map and using that as
your background (spherically mapped, of course).  The downside is that
you won't get interaction (shadows, lighting, media etc) between the
background and the 'real' objects in your scene.

...Chambers