POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PS3 Folding@Home stats show it may be an interesting Pov platform : Re: PS3 Folding@Home stats show it may be an interesting Pov platform Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:25:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PS3 Folding@Home stats show it may be an interesting Pov platform
From: Chambers
Date: 25 Mar 2007 12:50:32
Message: <4606b668@news.povray.org>
Francois LE COAT wrote:
> If Povray 3.7 was ever ported to PS3, it could simply first at least
> take advantage of the hyperthreading technology that is present on
> the MPE, even if it doesn't benefit from the sort of 'Altivec' that
> is implemented with SPEs. That means take the full advantage of the
> main processor running 3.2GHz (not so bad) with multithreading.
>
> That's roughly first a quite easy port to experiment. I can't do
> it myself for the moment.

For reference, although unified compilers do exist, I believe that most
development is currently done by using two different compilers and two
different code bases: one for the main processors, and one for the SPEs.

It's probably hard enough writing *new* software for it.  Porting
existing codebases would be a major PITA.

...Chambers