POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PS3 Folding@Home stats show it may be an interesting Pov platform : Re: PS3 Folding@Home stats show it may be an interesting Pov platform Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:16:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PS3 Folding@Home stats show it may be an interesting Pov platform
From: Francois LE COAT
Date: 25 Mar 2007 03:48:20
Message: <46063754$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I bought a PlayStation 3 yesterday morning ;)

Tom York wrote :
> Andrew Price wrote :
>> Now I see I think. Sorry Alain, I think you misundertood -- I am not r
eally
>> looking for a distributed render farm, but rather a version of pov tha
>> runs on the PS3 and uses its superior processor fully.
>>
>> :)
>
> I think it's clear that the Cell is a very difficult architecture to wr
ite
> for if you want to take full advantage of it. I believe the article sai
> that this folding client was written with help from Sony. You'll probab
ly
> be waiting a long time for a Cell-optimised version of POV-Ray.

If Povray 3.7 was ever ported to PS3, it could simply first at least
take advantage of the hyperthreading technology that is present on
the MPE, even if it doesn't benefit from the sort of 'Altivec' that
is implemented with SPEs. That means take the full advantage of the
main processor running 3.2GHz (not so bad) with multithreading.

That's roughly first a quite easy port to experiment. I can't do
it myself for the moment.

You may share this opinion.

Best regards,

Author of Eureka 2.12 (2D Graph Describer, 3D Modeller)
http://eureka.atari.org/