POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : truncated spheres : Re: truncated spheres Server Time
4 Oct 2024 19:20:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: truncated spheres
From: Warp
Date: 22 Mar 2007 06:12:44
Message: <460264ab@news.povray.org>
Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> Warp wrote:
> > Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> >
> >> Location of 1M, radius of 0.05.
> >
> >   You didn't really answer my question.
> >

> OK Warp, then 1M / 0.05 = 20M.  So the one number is 20M times the other.

  You are not understanding.

  You said, and I quote: "It's a known aspect of the hardware we use
that you should keep your ratios smaller than this to avoid precision
errors."
  I didn't know that the ratio between double precision floating point
numbers must be smaller than 20 millions in order to preserve accuracy.
I asked where did you get that number.

  The limit hit by the original poster has nothing to do with double
precision floating point number accuracy.

--
                                                          - Warp