POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scene optimization : Re: Scene optimization Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:20:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scene optimization
From: Alain
Date: 21 Mar 2007 19:32:03
Message: <4601ce83$1@news.povray.org>
Kenneth nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 21-03-2007 04:10:
>>> /> I use massive amounts of emitting media in the scene for flame effects,
>>> and it does render rather slowly, but I've learned to live with it,
>>> considering the effects.

> While it's true that none of the three media types *react* to radiosity
> lighting, both emission AND scattering media can *contribute* to it.  But
> scattering media does that only if lit by light sources. Otherwise, it has
> no effect. I think that's what Alain meant to say.

> Is it possible to reduce the number of samples in your media (without
> causing visual problems)? That would reduce rendering time somewhat.

> Ken W.

Just tested a purely scattering media in a radiosity scene.
Case 1:
A very bright parallel cylinder light (color rgb 8000) parallel to and just
above a plane.
Scene filled with scattering media.

Result: ABSOLUTELY no lighting of the plane as I expected.

Case 2:
The same light slightly tilted up to hit a second plane above.
Media contained in a cylinder or a box between the 2 planes.

Result:
It don't cast radiosity shadow.

--
Alain
Jehovah's Witnesses: Shit has been prophesied and is imminent; only the