POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : truncated spheres : Re: truncated spheres Server Time
4 Oct 2024 19:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: truncated spheres
From: Chambers
Date: 20 Mar 2007 20:38:57
Message: <46008cb1$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
>> You're dealing with two numbers, one of them being approximately 20
>> million times the other.  It's a known aspect of the hardware we use
>> that you should keep your ratios smaller than this to avoid precision
>> errors.
>
>   Where exactly are you getting that number?

Location of 1M, radius of 0.05.  Since floating point uses, well, a
floating exponent, you're fine mixing numbers of the same scale, but
objects of extremely different scales won't necessarily have the same
precision when used together.

I assumed that it was this mixing of scales that caused the error
(similar to what's explained here:
http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/misconceptions.html, look under "Sunlight
Simulation"), as I didn't know about POV's internal limit on
intersection distances.

...Chambers