POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radiosity as toon-shading approximator? : Re: Radiosity as toon-shading approximator? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:16:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity as toon-shading approximator?
From: Skip Talbot
Date: 20 Mar 2007 14:59:00
Message: <46003d04@news.povray.org>
Alexandre DENIS wrote:
> Greg M. Johnson wrote:
>
>> I was dusting off old files and I found one file where I achieved a sort
>> of
>> toony effect with radiosity.  In order to save me a bunch of
>> experimentation time  ;)   would anyone have an idea which one of these
>> settings would have been the key to getting a quasi-toon effect?
>
> I guess the effect comes from the combination of brightness > 1 and
> recursion_limit > 1. It makes the objects "glow".
>
> -a.

The brightness is the only value that's different from the default
values in the radiosity scene template, is it not?  I imagine that
without point lights and compensation from radiosity brightness you
won't get much shading, and thus the cartoon effect.  With most scenes,
however, this setting will not product a cartoon effect.

Skip