POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Field rendering question : Re: Field rendering question Server Time
6 Oct 2024 10:15:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Field rendering question
From: Scott Moore
Date: 3 May 2002 05:47:10
Message: <45n4dusp2h79bessc3vqt3plnla1jed21f@4ax.com>
On Thu, 2 May 2002 23:10:46 +0100, "PovRAY" <cbd### [at] my-dejacom>
wrote:

<snip>

>So it looks like there isn't a tool to perform this sort of interleaving.
>I'm very surprised - you NEED such a tool to produce field rendered
>animations from POV !!!

I've never been convinced that POV's field rendering is of any use
whatsoever with regard to targetting animations for interlaced devices
such as TV/Video.

I've done a few small field-rendered animations using 3ds max that
look super silky smooth when played on my TV. I did a test recently to
see how 3ds max does it.

Basically, using PAL output as an example, which is odd fields first
and 25 frames per second (also 50 fields per second),  3ds max renders
a frame with the odd lines drawn for the animation at time t seconds
and the even lines drawn for the animation at t + 0.02 seconds (i.e. t
+ half a frame). The only exception to this is the final frame where
both odd and even lines as drawn for the animation at time t.

If POV did field renderings like this animations would not need any
post processing to get the frames correctly interlaced - maybe this is
a bug with the exisitng method or, if any users actually have a use
for the current field rendering behaviour, there should be an
additional setting added to POV's field rendering options?

Cheers,

Scott