POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scene optimization : Re: Scene optimization Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:13:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scene optimization
From: Verm
Date: 19 Mar 2007 10:19:44
Message: <45feaa10$1@news.povray.org>
Anthony D. Baye wrote:

>> Do you have large difference/intersection where you remove 100's small pieces
>> from a large base object? You may try diferencing a blob instead of many spheres
>> and cylinders. You may also try using merge to combine all the pieces that you
>> remove. That way, you only test 2 bounding box instead of one for each components.
>
> /> I do use a macro that creates my circular brick walls, I tried several
> methods for creating rounded brick walls, and finally came up with an
> isosurface that could do it from the outside, but I needed texture on the
> inside, so i was forced to use CSG.
> I used merge wherever possible, and tried bounding the wall manually, but
> there was no significant speed increase.

Do you need proper brick walls or could you live with a cylinder with a
brick texture on? I know the default brick texture is just for planar
surfaces but you could roll your own for curved surfaces - my tina-chep
entry is a *very* primitive example of this.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/3dextra/tc2.jpg