POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : "Baked Textures" : Re: "Baked Textures" Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:34:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Baked Textures"
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 19 Mar 2007 04:07:15
Message: <45fe52c3$1@news.povray.org>
POV can be used to "Bake Textures". What this
means is that you could take some model, import
it into POV, and render 3d images with some
textures and finishes, under some pleasing lighting,
then cut up the output images with some image
editor, to match some uv_mapping image, which
could then be used to provide a sense of false
lighting on an object after it is attached to some
games 3d engine. That's quite a mouthful, so
let me go thru this one part at a time...

3D models of various formats can be imported
into POV. I think AC3D will export to POV.
Another utility to do this is PoseRay.
http://mysite.verizon.net/sfg0000/

Textures can be put onto the resulting POV
model using uv_mapping and image_map

POV supports various lighting solutions,
like point lights, area lights, spotlights,
and radiosity (global illumination).

POV also supports an orthographic camera,
which could help flatten out the default perspective.

All of this POV code may or may not be produced
by AC3D. You might just need to install POV, and
run the exported POV scenes, or, more likely, you
might need to tweak the POV code to get an image
you are happy with.

You will probably need some sort of good image
editor, like PSP, to cut and line up the images
rendered by POV onto your uv image template,
which should be generated by AC3D.