POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How about a contest....... : Re: How about a contest....... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:25:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How about a contest.......
From: Warp
Date: 19 Mar 2007 03:59:43
Message: <45fe50fd@news.povray.org>
Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> Oh, really?  I wasn't aware of this.  Let me guess, it also has an
> editor on the Mac?  I'd assume that the Linux version remains CLI in the
> official distribution...

  Unix/Linux people don't need nor want a builtin editor because most
Unix/Linux people have a different mentality and different customs than
Windows and Mac people. In Unix/Linux the mentality is more "one text
editor for all applications" instead of the "each application has its
own builtin editor" mentality of Windows/Mac.

  It makes sense. When you are accustomed to your favorite text editor and
have configured it to your liking, why should you be forced to use anything
else? You don't *need* anything else.

  In Windows (and probably Mac), however, people usually don't know nor
care how to connect different programs to perform a certain task, and thus
they want each program supporting everything by builtin features.

--
                                                          - Warp