POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New machine. : Re: New machine. Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New machine.
From: Alain
Date: 13 Mar 2007 16:02:29
Message: <45f71165$1@news.povray.org>
Bruno Cabasson nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 13-03-2007 08:50:
> Hello all!

> I had the luck to have an extra income, and I am wondering about acquiring a
> new machine, probably a laptop. Looking about current offers, I got lost.
> Which OS, which processor? Vista frightens me a little but the machine will
> also have a family usage and versions of POV are first released on Windows.
> However I feel attracted by MAC OS, and Linux corresponds better to my
> personnal ideas.

> I do not want to restart a polemics about OSes and processors. But I'd like
> to have non commercial info about the marketplace today and about
> performance of POV on the last generation of processors. Did somebody try
> (eg benchmark.pov?) a Core2Duo T7xxx or T5xxx? What about AMD today?

>     Bruno

Do you REALY need a laptop? For a given price tag, a desktop will give you beter
performances. You also can upgrade it easier and cheaper.
For the CPU, the core2duo is currently the top dog.
I can't say anything about the OS.

--
Alain
   I knew a girl so ugly, they use her in prisons to cure sex Offenders.