POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ripples with actual height : Re: ripples with actual height Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ripples with actual height
From: Chambers
Date: 13 Mar 2007 14:30:33
Message: <45f6fbd9$1@news.povray.org>
Eric wrote:
> There are many ways I've seen to simulate water, but all are really
> illusions on a uniform surface.  So if you have a vertical surface coming
> straight up out of the 'water', you get a perfectly straight line at the
> intersection.  What options are there that will form actual height-ripples
> in a surface?  I know of bump_map and height_field, all of which require an
> image for the height field, but I'd rather not go that way.
>
> Thanks!
> -Eric

Bump mapping isn't really implemented in POV-Ray, at least not the way
you're probably thinking from the above.

Most people use isosurfaces, which are surfaces defined by equations.
Here's a simple scene using one:

camera {
  location <0,10,-15>
  look_at 0
}

isosurface {
  function { cos( sqrt(x*x+z*z) ) +y }
  threshold 0
  max_gradient 1.5
  contained_by {box {<-100,-2,-100>,<100,2,100>}}
  pigment {color rgb 1/2+z/2}
  finish {specular 1/2}
}

light_source {<1,1,-1>*100 color rgb 1}