POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Storing height_field mesh between frames of an animation : Re: Storing height_field mesh between frames of an animation Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:17:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Storing height_field mesh between frames of an animation
From: John VanSickle
Date: 11 Mar 2007 20:46:01
Message: <45f4b0d9$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>
>>If your heightfield is generated from a function, you can save it to a file
>>during the first frame. Then, you reload it for each subsequent frame. It should
>>be faster then recreating it everytime.
>
>   There's no way of storing a heightfield in a file.

Sure you can.  You have POV-Ray render the height_field with a gradient
texture running from rgb <0,0,0> to rgb <1,1,1>, with the hf_gray
setting on.  The high parts of the height_field are white, and the low
parts are black.  The height_field is saved as a picture in the render
output file.

Oddly enough, this is what Alain described.

If the original poster is generating a large height field from a
function or pigment pattern (which I did for a recent IRTC entry), he
can try breaking up the height_field into several smaller sections (of
equal precision, or he'll get cracks between sections), and test them to
see which are on-camera and which aren't.

Regads,
John