POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Storing height_field mesh between frames of an animation : Re: Storing height_field mesh between frames of an animation Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Storing height_field mesh between frames of an animation
From: Alain
Date: 11 Mar 2007 09:16:36
Message: <45f40f44@news.povray.org>
scam nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 10-03-2007 20:34:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using a heightfield in an animation that takes about 5 seconds to
> process for each frame. Is there any way to store the heightfield mesh
> in memory between frames, or perhaps write it to a file (although that
> won't provide much speed up I think)?
>
> Perhaps it is just my ignorance and it is possible, but it would be
> really nice to be able to operate on POV-Ray's internal data structures
> directly using SDL.
>
> Cheers.
If your heightfield is generated from a function, you can save it to a file
during the first frame. Then, you reload it for each subsequent frame. It should
be faster then recreating it everytime.
You can also preprocess it and save is as a heightfield image file, use hf_16 to
get beter vertical resolution. Save as a TGA file. That's the way it was dome
before the use of function was implemented.
Create the heightfield with an amplitude of 1 unit in a plane perpendicular to
the camera. Use an orthographic camera. Apply this texture:
texture{gradient z }finish{ambient 1}}
Change the gradient orientation if needed.

--
Alain
Everything can be filed under "miscellaneous".