POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : So, what are we gonna do? : Re: So, what are we gonna do? Server Time
28 Apr 2024 21:57:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: So, what are we gonna do?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Mar 2007 08:10:48
Message: <45f15cd8@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> schreef in bericht news:45f12d5c$2@news.povray.org...

>      Yes, Angela's suggestion is a good one. Although, I'm not so sure
> about 'avatar' as to me, it means that little still or animated logo at
> the side of a post in a forum. I might be wrong about that. But, the 'A'
> could mean 'Artists'?

The real sense of 'avatar' (from the Sanscrit) is: "The "avatar" derives
from the Sanskrit word Avatara, meaning "incarnation" and usually implying a
deliberate descent into mortal realms for special purposes." See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_%28icon%29

In my view, the computer representation is a secondary meaning. The problem
is of course that most people relate to that secondary meaning, and the true
sense is lost.... :-(

'Artists' might be a valid substitute but would loose that strong
connotation of a 'rebirth' or 're-incarnation', which was my primary
objective in using the word.

Thomas