POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hothouse glass : Re: Hothouse glass: a very acceptable solution Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:15:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hothouse glass: a very acceptable solution
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Mar 2007 07:58:40
Message: <45f15a00@news.povray.org>
"Vincent Le Chevalier" <gal### [at] libertyALLsurfSPAMfr> schreef in
bericht news:45f1324c$1@news.povray.org...

>> Following the answers to my question, I give you here the solution I find
>> very near to my intentions. Who knows, you may need it yourselves?
>>

> Good result !
>
> One minor thing is that you use ior in a polygon, which does not simulate
> accurately a glass layer. What happens is that the direction of a ray
> going through your polygon changes only once, while it changes twice when
> going to an actual window. This is caused by the fact that the polygon
> does not really have a finite inside... A ray "entering" the polygon never
> exits.
>
> If you want to keep the micronormals, and still be able to see the object
> outside where they truely are, you could keep a polygon of "paint" inside
> a thin block of perfectly transparent glass. Something such as this:

Thanks a lot! That might be useful, but not for now. I build my dome with
the Dome plugin in Moray, where the faces are automatically made of meshes,
so I cannot really do as you say. The easy way out of course, is not use the
ior in that case, but then the effect is lost. But for any other
construction with glass I shall keep this in mind.

Thomas