POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hothouse glass : Re: Hothouse glass Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:16:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hothouse glass
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Mar 2007 03:32:12
Message: <45f11b8c@news.povray.org>
"Alain" <ele### [at] netscapenet> schreef in bericht
> kike nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 08-03-2007 11:21:
>> It is a bit difficult to imagine the exact effect you are looking for but
>> Have you checked to design glass with normals? I mean I would try with
>> something like
>
>> pigment{rgbf<1,1,1,.9>}
>> normal{granite 2 scale .001}
>> ..
>> ..
>> ..
>> (the rest of finish and interior properties)
>

>> I dont know what would happen but seems that it would let light pass
>> through
>> the windows in a diffuse way, isnt it?
>
> Don't forget to set the ior in the interior. Any object behind the "glass"
> will get the effect. The light will go trough straight as an arrow unless
> you also use photons. You will need to use some aa.
> Replace the light shining trough with a large area_light to give blured
> shadows.
> You can use averaged normals whitch will give you a smoother result. If
> you use photons, the averaged normals will multiply your photons count,
> so, only apply that to one face (difference of 2 box, one with the normals
> and one flat) and keep the number of normals relatively low.

I did exactly what you (Kike and Alain) suggest here before ptting the
question to the forum. Nice to see that we follow the same track. However,
although quite acceptable, it does not show the glass panes as being painted
white. They are more like frosted glass windows (very nice effect by the
way).

Thomas