POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Limits to size and distance? : Re: Limits to size and distance? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:18:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Limits to size and distance?
From: Alain
Date: 8 Mar 2007 19:06:50
Message: <45f0a51a@news.povray.org>
FexFX nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 08-03-2007 12:37:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.4360929f30852916731f01d10%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=3

>> for a lengthy discussion (and partial solution) to this problem when some of
>> us tried to produce a Ringworld (a big dumb object from Larry Niven's SF
>> novel of the same name).
>>
>> Bill
>
> Thanks for the link...Looks like I may be up against a wall on an even
> slammer scale than ringworld scales...
> I have bult a space station (small and retro-sci-fi styled) using 1 unit = 1
> foot as a scale...
> Then I placed a "Jupiter" like object behind it which is roughly 350k units
> distant Z and 250k Units Radius...the problem is that the Stars cannot be
> more than 500k out...which means that the back edge of "jupiter" is hitting
> the stars...
> This causes some obvious issues...
> Any suggestions beyond rescallign everything so that 1 unit = 100 miles and
> then resizing jupiter, the space station, and everything else and leaving
> the stars at 500K units?

Scale down "Jupiter" by a factor of 100 or 1000 and put it 100 or 1000 times closer.
Do away with your stars and substitute a sky_sphere. It never receive any
shadow. Or you may use a "world sphere" about 400K unit radius with
finish{ambient 1 diffuse 0} that will not show any shadow and don't need any
light to be seen.

--
Alain