POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : So, what are we gonna do? : Re: So, what are we gonna do? Server Time
6 May 2024 08:50:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: So, what are we gonna do?
From: St
Date: 8 Mar 2007 09:31:08
Message: <45f01e2c$1@news.povray.org>
"Mike the Elder" <zer### [at] wyanorg> wrote in message
> The posts in this thread give me hope (confidence?) that the March/April
> "Before & After" round will have a significant increase in the number of
> entries.

    Hi Mike, me too.

Perhaps we could  use a web page that would show prospective
> entrants the topic, rules, submission process and a link to the existing
> images.

   This, I'm dealing with right now. Over the weekend, (or sooner), your
suggestions below will also be implemented.

 I would be willing to produce this unless there is someone else
> who has a burning desire to do so.  Before beginning, I would like to get
> some feedback and suggestions from the folks involved (or anyone else with
> good ideas). Especially welcomed would be ideas for a short catchy name
> for
> our endeavor.  The name "The Interim Pseudo IRTC / TINA CheP Ray Tracing
> Forum" is unlikely to have potential participants submitting in droves.

   You are correct, and I'm thinking that if the present competition is
going to be a world-wide one, (as it is), then how about '3D-IRTC'? I'm just
wondering though, are there any copyright issues with using 'IRTC'?
Afterall, someone, at some point came up with that name, and I guess it's
their copyright?

> I was rather hoping that ~Steve~ would be willing to host the page so that
> everything would be together in one place, but I could find a spot for it
> myself if this was not agreeable for any reason.  I would like to have the
> whole thing up and running by the end of this weekend if at all possible
> so
> that anyone introduced to the project by the page would have plenty of
> time
> to get an entry ready.  Also, I'm not particularly concerned with the
> notion of judging and picking winners myself, but we really ought to
> discuss what , if anything, we're going to do in that regard so that
> decisions will be forthcoming in a reasonable amount of time.

     Hey Mike, please don't worry about this. I've literally just been to
see our local hosting company in town, and I'm assured that I can have a
format whereby entrants can upload their images, vote, and comment, (this
will also include the animations). How this is actually going to work, I'm
not sure at the moment. But just for now, I'll keep it the way it is, (with
your suggestions above implemented).

    Why am I doing this? Well, because I have a passion for the IRTC. It was
the place to go to try and further your skills and improve yourself by
taking in the various suggestions and (often precious) comments that other
people gave from around the world. It harvested a whole new community back
in 1994 that is still going strong today, (and it appears to be stronger
than ever now). Another reason is that I had a look at the IRTC site again
last night, (and just now), and I can't even comprehend why it says:
"deadline was passed by 66 days, 5 hours, 54 minutes, and 22 seconds".

   That's just mad.

  Another reason is that if you Google IRTC, there are 192,000 references.
Now, that's not to say that they're all to to with the IRTC as we know it,
but heck, I'm willing to bet that one hell of a lot ARE to do with it. I
know there are a stack of people who have linked to it from their own sites,
and of course, you do get stuff like this too:
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/Internet+Ray+Tracing+Competition.

   And lastly, the IRTC site admins say on the website that they are on
'Hiatus' which means "a break or interruption in the continuity of a work,
series, action, etc." They also say, "We will provide more details soon",
but they haven't, and I don't believe they will. And anyway, how soon is
'soon'? Do we wait another 66 days? More? If any of the admins read this, I
hope that IF they are doing something about it *now*, then they would have
the decency to reply and say so, because otherwise, I'm going ahead with my
plans.

    ~Steve~