POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My humble thanks... : Re: My humble thanks... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:24:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My humble thanks...
From: John VanSickle
Date: 6 Mar 2007 23:21:37
Message: <45ee3dd1@news.povray.org>
Dan Byers wrote:
> John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>

>>I am very interested in knowing what software you're using to put sound
>>into your animations.
>

> The sound sources or the mixing?
>
> Source comes from a variety of places:
>
> 1) AKG 414 condensor mic into a Mackie 120 VLZ board recording whatever
> weird noise around the house.
>
> 2) All musical instruments were played or programmed by me.
>
> 3) Synthetic sounds were generated with SuperCollider, a Mac program that
> acts like Csound on steroids.  The language is object-oriented and the
> syntax is similar to Smalltalk.  Dense, but with enough experimentation it
> can make some killer classic analog synth sounds (or just plain strange
> sounds).
>
> As far as mixing goes, for "Break Time" I used Opcode's Vision DSP digital
> recording software to mix, add reverb, DDLs, etc.  Opcode no longer exists,
> and Vision won't run on OS X, so I've gone to Audacity, which is a nice
> open-source, multiplatform recorder and mixer, and is good for recording
> audio.  Still, I'm finding myself drawn to mixing with Csound, if you can
> believe it.

Which of these utilites actually puts the sound into the video file?
That's what I'm after.  'Course, you're on a Mac box, so your answer may
not be helpful to me (XP user, maybe going to Linux sometime later this
year).

> Within the last couple of weeks I've worked on a master editor
> POV script -- inspired by you, John -- that will let me mix various video
> scenes with transitions and drop Csound audio events where they need to go.

How exactly did I inspire this?  My anims are silent--I should change my
name to Charlie Chaplin.

>  I have another set of scripts I'm using to do the final audio -- again, POV
> driving and creating Csound score files.  Not the most efficient or
> intuitive way to mix audio, but I can bring scripts and WAV files to work
> and mix over lunch or breaks, when my brain is actually fully functional as
> opposed to, say, right now when it's been gooified by a full day's work and
> the resident 9-year-old :)  It also gives me an excuse to wear headphones
> when the guy in the cubicle next to me is clearing his lungs of fluids
> (which he does constantly -- nasty!)

I had a roommate who smoked a lot, was deaf in one ear, and snored.  The
sound of the smoking-induced mucus bubbling through his breathing
passages was not pleasant.

Regards,
John