POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : camera : Re: camera Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:24:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: camera
From: Jim Charter
Date: 6 Mar 2007 13:14:01
Message: <45edaf69$1@news.povray.org>
Kevinaz wrote:
> "kike" <dry### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
>>I agree with the idea of coordinate changes but I have another idea as well.
>>It happens to me when working with several pov files (for example having
>>different models in different files) that you forget to remove the cameras
>>from your model files. Then pov finds several cameras and when you change
>>the camera settings in your main file nothing happens because it is
>>actually using another camera. As you say that when you change camera
>>settings nothing happens could be this the problem? That you have defined
>>more than one camera?
>

> here's the code snippet:
>

> camera {
>    location <-3.509800,33.472000,168.360001>
>    up <0,1,0>
>    right <-4/3,0,0>
>    direction <0,0,1>
>    look_at <-11.923838,34.394115,163.035004>
>
> }
>
> I know I have the right camera, because I can still change attributes like
> "sky", and "Direction", but the other attributes still don't work.
>
> Kevinaz
>
> P.S. could you explain that again Kike, in "laymens terms". As I'm new to
> pov ray, (and 3d for that matter), I'm having a little trouble
> understanding what you wrote.
>
> thanks

Well that seems consistent with the two pictures you posted, in that in
the pov result the camera seems to be over near the far lamppost and
looking in the -x and -z direction.  We see the building with the
bevelled corners near it.  You should also notice that currently the
location point and the look_at point are very close to one another
which suggests that *something* is wrong.

It would seem that in the "correct" view, the camera is pointing mostly
in -x direction with a pan to the +z a bit.

My guess is the location has the x and z values reversed
I would try
location <-168.360001,33.472000,3.509800>
instead of
location <-3.509800,33.472000,168.360001>

and leave the look_at the same?