POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : network rendering setup : Re: network rendering setup Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:15:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: network rendering setup
From: John VanSickle
Date: 2 Mar 2007 20:24:50
Message: <45e8ce62@news.povray.org>
gwaping wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Im new to povray and working on making a render farm.
>
> how can I go about this??

I have a render farm consisting of my laptop and my desktop, both
networked together.

It's a Windows network.  I have a partition on my desktop (which is
named P: ) which contains all of my POV-Ray files.  I have it shared on
my network.  Other machines map their P: drives to this network share.

I don't have the distributed rendering version of POV-Ray.  What I do
instead is to create a bunch of .INI files, each of which is set to
render 12 frames (half a second) of whatever IRTC project I'm working
on.  I put about 60% of them in the desktop rendering queue, and the
other 40% in the laptop rendering queue (this reflects ther relative
rendering speeds).  Then I let them render while I do something else
(sleep, go to work, etc.).

Regards,
John