POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : absorption, mesh and light : Re: absorption, mesh and light Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:26:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: absorption, mesh and light
From: Warp
Date: 2 Mar 2007 09:52:55
Message: <45e83a47@news.povray.org>
kike <dry### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> But sadly, background can not be changed in my image, so I will have to
> change the way I model the smoke. Any idea?

  If your absorbing media is not showing up because of the background
color, it means that your background is black or very dark?

  If you think about it, are you even *supposed* to see (black) smoke
on a black background?-)

  If what you want is for light sources to "illuminate" your smoke,
then that's also possible, but you can't do it with absorbing media.
You need to use scattering media, and expect having to fine-tune it
a lot and a considerable increase in rendering times.

  If that's not what you want, but you still want your smoke to be
visible, then you might try to make the smoke slightly emissive instead.
In other words, besides being absorbing, make it also slightly emissive
(this is possible by putting *two* media blocks in the interior block,
one being absorbing and the other emissive). It might not get the effect
you want, but you might want to try it anyways.

--
                                                          - Warp