POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Specular vs Phong : Re: Specular vs Phong Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:15:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Specular vs Phong
From: Ross
Date: 28 Feb 2007 11:09:12
Message: <45e5a928$1@news.povray.org>
"Ben Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote in message
> (See my image in p.b.i for a comparison of the two).
>
> So, my question is, does someone need both?
>
> I've been in the habit of using specular for my finishes, and I've only
> seen phong used a couple of times.  I know that they use slightly
> different formulas but, for artistic usage, is there any reason that I
> should choose one over the other?
>
> Or, more interestingly, is there any reason I might want to mix them in
> the same scene (some objects using specular, and some using phong)?

Something I picked up from either Tek or Lightbeam in these groups is to use
both on glassy kind of textures. One, phong say, for larger softer
highlights, and specular for tight and bright highlights (don't forget the
roughness). I don't know if it's physically realistic, but it's eye
appealing to me.