POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POV-Ray for geeks only? : Re: POV-Ray for geeks only? Server Time
19 May 2024 04:00:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray for geeks only?
From: Shay
Date: 26 Feb 2007 13:55:16
Message: <45e32d14@news.povray.org>
Florian Brucker wrote:
> As you mentioned splines: It *looks* like
> the straight segments would be the control polygon for
> a bezier spline which would be the curved segments.
> Any good?

Very good, but that's not the entire answer. The control points for the
final spline were derived from the straight segment corners with Bezier
type math. The curve of the line connecting them was, however, traced by
a new spline formula I invented. The curve had to have a very specific
behavior in order to arch in what I felt was an attractive manner around
the other segments. Here's a comparison image to POV's cubic and natural
spline types.

 -Shay

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'spline_comparison.jpg' (39 KB)

Preview of image 'spline_comparison.jpg'
spline_comparison.jpg