POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Pigment along a sphere_sweep : Re: Pigment along a sphere_sweep Server Time
6 Oct 2024 12:59:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pigment along a sphere_sweep
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 18 Feb 2007 15:53:23
Message: <45d8bcc3@news.povray.org>
Florian Brucker wrote:

> Is it possible to color a sphere_sweep along the spline? I.e. with a
> gradient that follows the spline instead of fixed direction. As the
> spline twists in all directions I can't fake it by using a standard
> gradient. I tried to transform the spline coordinates to something more
> accessible, but that fails because one has no possibility to know how
> far on the spline a given point (x,y,z) is. But perhaps I'm missing
> something :)

I don't think there is an easy solution for this. Actually you'd
like to have uv_mapping which does not seem to be supported by
the sphere_sweep object.

Possible workarounds include:

o Split your sweep into multiple shorter sweeps, for each of which a
   linear gradient may be a good enough approximation for texturing

o Switch to an object which supports uv_mapping such as "parametric"

o Implement uv_mapping for sphere_sweep and publish a patch ;)