POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Which code evaluate Math functions (ie: isosurfaces) ? : Re: Which code evaluate Math functions (ie: isosurfaces) ? Server Time
27 Apr 2024 05:04:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Which code evaluate Math functions (ie: isosurfaces) ?
From: Ben Chambers
Date: 16 Feb 2007 01:54:28
Message: <45d55524$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so you're basically caching recent lookups of various functions so
you don't have to compute them later.

I still doubt that this would really benefit POV-Ray, because I doubt
that the various functions such as sqrt or cos are called very often
with the same exact input.  And if it isn't called with the same input,
you'd still have to evaluate the function.

Something like a modeller which does object tesselation would probably
benefit a great deal from this, especially if it tends to evaluate on
fixed intervals (for algorithms such as marching cubes); however,
POV-Ray samples many, many more points, all over the spacial area, so
you'd likely need a much larger cache, resulting in more overhead and
less performance.

Of course, the only real way to know for sure would be to implement it
and test; why don't you branch the 3.6 codebase, try it out, and let us
know if it works?

...Chambers