POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Announcement: Moray acquired by POV-Ray; to be released as Open Source : Re: Announcement: Moray acquired by POV-Ray; to be released as OpenSource Server Time
2 Jun 2024 06:52:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Announcement: Moray acquired by POV-Ray; to be released as OpenSource
From: Warp
Date: 15 Feb 2007 11:44:09
Message: <45d48dd9@news.povray.org>
> >   Abstracting the input file parser, and additionally the command-line
> > parser, gave many benefits.

> I am not denying that there are potential benefits at first sight, what I am
> saying is they are completely outweight by the drawbacks.

  That contradicts completely my experience. Our parser system was
flexible, enhanceable and fast.
  A more unabstract hardcoded solution would have been rigid and very
laborious to enhance, most probably giving no measurable speed benefits.

> Chris Cason and me (I did the design, he profiled and tweaked it), I think I
> have successfully demonstrated I know really well how to deliver
> high-performance code.

  You said elsewhere that the point was not the performance but the
manageability.

  "I used this solution and it proved to be very fast" is not a proof
of anything relevant. It only proves that that specific solution is fast.
It doesn't prove that other more flexible solutions are not equally fast.

--
                                                          - Warp