POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Distributing patch objects : Re: Distributing patch objects Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:20:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Distributing patch objects
From: Ben Chambers
Date: 14 Feb 2007 16:41:23
Message: <45d38203$1@news.povray.org>
Ben Chambers wrote:
> However, in examining the test I was doing, it is entirely possible that
> the clipped version is simply rendering more detail (since it shows
> grass up to the border), and that is the cause for the slowdown.  I
> suppose this would be minimized when there's a greater area which does
> not intersect the border, so I'll test with that.

A further test confirmed, that a scene where 90+% of the visible grass
is not intersecting the border results in only an 8% slowdown in trace
time.  I guess the problem all along was the large proportion of space
edges in my scene; that is, in my scene a lot of grass patches intersect
the area boundaries, meaning more computations are needed.

Sorry to bother everyone, this has been a fun little dialogue by myself
:)  Of course, if anyone can think of another way to speed up this
thing, I'd very much like to hear it.

...Chambers